01 09 10

Monday, April 30, 2012

Pre-K ZOObilee!

Last week we studied zoo animals and did lots of great animal activities with our sweet peas.

We read Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae, and made a few giraffes of our own!

Pre-K 2 made an animal flip book!
And a hand print parrot.
Next we read Goodnight Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann over and over and OVER!
And then we learned some Gorilla facts and compared our hands to the size of a gorilla's hand. Our hands were very little.
We made snake easy readers to practice reading our color words and painted snakes of our own.
Pre-K 2 made a snack craft of animals at the zoo using graham crackers, icing, animals crackers and twizzlers. They were so cute!
Pre-K 1 learned about peacocks and made some beautiful peacocks and used them to practice our writing.
We monkeyed around in centers with monkey manipulatives. :)
We practiced counting the syllables in animal names for morning message.
 Pre-K 1 did a really silly group activity to help us make mental images when we read. First, we read one half of the poem My Neighbor's Dog is Purple.
We drew pictures of what we thought the neighbor's dog might look like.
Then we read the end, which you can't see under that flap, but it's....A CROCODILE!
Then we drew pictures again, this time knowing it wasn't a dog! Here are a few drawings from our imaginations:
We rounded off the week with a poem, Alligator Pie.
Then we made some Alligator Pie, of course!
We are already on to Under the Sea, but zoo week was a success. Have a wonderful week!


6 comments:

  1. Adorable, love your projects. Looks like everyone had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this is Dana from fun in 1st grade. Your blog looks great! I love your header. That is one thing I have not figured out how to make yet! :( I am your newest member and I hope you will join my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I found your blog through a comment that you left and I just hopped over to see you. I LOVE THE PICTURES you posted!!!!! I especially love the alligator pie.

    I would love to pin your pictures but I don't see a permission to pin on your blog. Do you mind if I put your pictures on my pinterest board? You can reach me at uf94gator@yahoo.com or on my blog (see link below). BTW I'm now following you.
    Stacy

    simpsonsuperstars

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, where did you get the animal printable for the animal flip book? I am looking to make the same for my girl scout troop.
    cmbarham125@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, if you still have a copy of the printables for the animal flip book I would love to have them! Looking to do a similar activity with my girl scout troop this fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did this 3 or 4 years ago and I don't remember where we got the flip book, sorry. Maybe you could make one with black and white clip art? It may have been a Mailbox Magazine printable. Good luck!

      Delete